Picture left: What are they saying about us? Two street boys take a moment out from a roadside mime act to read an article about street children in a local newspaper.
- FIFA TV: Tom Hewitt (founder of Umthombo) and Umthombo are well known for fighting against the rounding-up of street children by Durban officials ahead of the 2010 World Cup. Nice to see that FIFA actually highlighted Umthombo in a video in celebration of the 2010 World Cup!
- Sunday Times SA Article about Umthombo surfer Sihle Mbutho (13/11/11): http://www.timeslive.co.za/lifestyle/2011/11/13/one-time-street-child-catches-a-new-wave
- East Coast Radio Website: Umthombo Vegetable Garden (04/03/2011): http://www.ecr.co.za/kagiso/content/en/east-coast-radio/east-coast-radio-news?oid=1111919&sn=Detail&pid=6028&CBD-veggie-garden-a-first-for-Durban
- SABC Kids News: Umthombo surfing programme:
- ETV news (Jan 01 2011): Umthombo CEO Tom Hewitt receives MBE:
- Umthombo Surfers seen across the world on Transworld Sport (13/08/10).
- European Press Agency (11/08/10): Umthombo’s surf program is turning heads. Children once seen as the “write-offs” living on the streets and sniffing glue outside the notorious Tong Lok, in Point, Durban are now seen, fit and healthy charging the waves at Durban’s premier surf-spot, the New Pier! Transformed and stoked! Check out the photos: http://www.epa.eu/en/article/62.html?CMSSESSID=e5d6684d23bc45f56ac84a7aaa82752e
- eTV News South Africa (20/05/10): The last report on round-ups (they have since been halted):